Everyone loves apple crumble. Right? Right! TEARAWAY Maverick RUTH BARNARD shares her recipe for one that's not loaded with butter and sugar. Yum!
Apple crumble, that ultimate winter dessert, is easy to make and the ingredients are SO cheap. I bet you have most of them in the pantry already!
Prepare Yourself: The IngredientsFor the filling...
1 tbsp water
1 tbsp honey
A few shakes of cinnamon
1 cup wholemeal flour
1 cup rolled oats
1 tbsp honey
1 tsp butter
A sprinkle of brown sugar
Plain natural yoghurt
You will also need an oven proof dish and a mixing bowl. This serves either six moderately hungry or four very hungry people.
Let's Do It: The Method
1. Whack on the oven to 200C. Peel and core the apples and chop them into chunks. If you’re extra ravenous, cut the slices thinner so they cook faster.
2. Put the apples into a saucepan with the water, honey and cinnamon. Cook on a low to medium heat for about ten minutes.
3. While the above is slowly producing heavenly smells, it's time to start making the crumble topping. Start by combining the flour and oats into a mixing bowl.
4. Heat the honey and butter together gently until gooey and soft. Pour into the oats and flour mixture. Get messy! Mix with your fingertips to create a breadcrumb consistency.
5. When the apples are done, tip them into the oven dish and arrange the crumble mix on top. Add a small sprinkle of brown sugar for texture and cheeky sweetness.
6. Bang your apple crumble into the preheated oven for about 20 to 30 minutes, until the apples are soft when poked with a fork and when crumble is starting to brown on top.
7. Serve with plain natural yoghurt if desired. Bon appétit!